Search This Blog

All the different stakeholders in Education... why don't people try to understand each other?

As a student, I thought everything was uncoordinated across the teachers. Teachers were unprepared and usually used slides which were more than 10 years old. As a student, I thought learning happen in the class room… I was wrong.

As an academic counselor, I met frustrated students due to poor treatment from teachers and lack of support from the student administration. But in several cases it was because the student rarely understood the curriculum. I thought that students always were right... I was wrong.



As a teacher, I have met a number of students who expected that everything will be served on a silver platter so they actually didn’t had to open a book through the semester. I thought students always came to class because they wanted to clarify curriculum... I was wrong.

As an employee at the University, I experienced an unlikely pressure from students, teachers, examiners and research departments because the management kept developing more education programs. Communication from management to employees was typically via memos that were circulated by mail. I thought that management always did the best to support their employees... I was wrong.

As a research assistant, I experienced a giant hierarchy. I felt like the cleaning staff. I was in the way, noisy and never did my job well enough. I thought that knowledge sharing among colleagues and students always was a "de facto" standard in research community... I was wrong.

Today I often meet students who have very high expectations of themselves. Humility is clearly not what the students learn today. I thought students came out with great ambitions and had learned their own limitations... I was wrong.

My experience and belief is that people in this ecosystem are doing the best they can from the premises on which they are confronted.

Education systems worldwide are facing enormous challenges—including budget pressures, low graduation rates, declining research productivity, and increasing numbers of graduates ill-equipped to enter the workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment